Mixed Media Sketchbook - from cereal boxes - DIY - 12 pages in 2015 art journal


When I started my 2015 project called 12 pages in 2015 I wanted to make the sketchbook/art-book by myself. Because it's fun, because I can and because I had A LOT of cereal boxes waiting to be used. Why do I call it "mixed media"? Because the pages are nicely thick and they buckle less when faced with loads of art supplies and they even dry flat when you weigh them down over night with a heavy pile of books (provided your art-work is REALLY dry)

So, the first thing I do when I finish a box of anything, is cut it apart and save the bigger sides. I use my long and sharp kitchen knife for this as it's the fastest way and because I really like the look of "torn away" edges.



Now let's get going. Apart from your big pile of "pages" make sure you have:
- a lot of glue (I used white wood/paper glue because it's very strong and bonds printed sides together well)
- expired credit card to spread the glue around
- masking tape (because it's not glossy on the outer side)
- scissors to cut the masking tape
- pretty paper to use for embellishing your covers

here's what I used
start assembling with two pages put side by side - printed sides together

glue two pages together with masking tape - go from top to bottom of the pages
when glued together, fold in half with printed sides on the outside (and unprinted sides inside) - we shall call this one spread
repeat with all the pages you have - you can see here I ended up with 6 spreads
now begin to assemble into a book - put a generous amount of glue on one side of your folded spread
spread the glue around with your credit card
glue together two spreads - always with printed sides together and don't forget to keep the folds on the same side
continue gluing spreads together ...
... until you've used them all and you can already see your book appearing
if you've managed to glue together everything properly, your book has nice clean pages inside and there's no masking tape to be seen anywhere
keep admiring your pretty book ;)
it's time to glue together the spine of our book - use your masking tape
here's how it looks finished
we've done enough for one sitting - it's time to leave our book to dry well - put something heavy on it and leave at least over night
time to prettify covers - cut your pretty paper a bit bigger than the full open cover is (we shall trim later)
spread some glue around the front cover and on the spine with your credit card (use some paper to protect the rest of the pages; just slide it under the cover while you spread the glue around) - repeat on the other side
leave to dry over night again (sorry, but it's really necessary)
time to trim the excess paper away - fold it one way ...

... and then in the other way...
... and tear away (you can use your scissors as well but I do it like this because it matches the torn look of the rest of the pages)

use scissors to cut to the bottom of the page and do the same fold/fold/tear as you did before
and voila! your book is done :)  congratulations! now go and have fun filling it





You could also make your spreads by folding each paper (from the box) in half and gluing those together (leaving out the step with using the masking tape) but you'd end up with a smaller book.

No matter how you do it, you'll use up the things you already have, have fun in the process and you'll be able to use what you made with pride! I'd love to see what you come up with if you make one so please share and let me know about it.

Happy crafting and creating! :)

Comments

  1. This is brilliant, Nini!

    I love this as I can make it easy peasy.....as per usual you are BRILLO PADS :)

    xo

    Sandy P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sandy! It's really easy peasy :D I shall be making more for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic project! For any age, really. I may need to start saving long box sides. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cindy! I'd love it if you would! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post, you are so kind to put them together and show us how easily we can upcycle seemingly throwaway items into beautiful things. No I want to see how you fill it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Suzi! I'm looking forward to seeing this one full too.. only don't know when it'll happen. I'm not as prolific with filling them up as you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working on making my book from cereal boxes but I´m keeping them unglued the pages that is. just using them on both sides. I´m sanding the shiny side though and might put some Gesso on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh - I am SOOOO doing this!!! Thanks so much for this tutorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vau, beautiful project🥰 I need to try it❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like ut! I hope to see what you make 💖

      Delete
  10. Oh this is brilliant! I’ll have to hunt out cereal boxes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! I’ll have to find all my cereal boxes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate every comment I receive and I will reply to it as soon as I can ♥

Popular Posts