Cats In Bed



With April 1st our »Draw Along« started and exercise 01 is all about cats. I still have time to finish this task but I wanted to show some progress shots. It was really interesting to observe how awkward I am with a pen. I can't draw with it directly as I can't erase my mistakes and that makes me nervous. I'm not sharing those mess ups with anybody but I am posting my pencil cats. I do know though, that with a lot of practice I could be using the pen directly too, but that's still far away :)


These were done after cat’s photos from the web and I can see the improvement from each cat to another already. Carla’s work in the book we are following (Drawing Lab For Mixed Media Artists) is all about having fun and experimenting with different materials. Bonus task from the assignment is choosing one of the drawn cats and rendering it in full - mixed media style.

I’ve never done any mixed media pieces before so this is very interesting for me. I’ve been observing them with great interest but now I’ll give them a try myself. I know I’ll never have enough resources on hand but I’ll do with what I have and I’ll just have to improvise. I hope having fun will creep in as I move along too ;)

Lookin Out

At first I wanted to use the cat from the bag for my final piece but I think I’ll do something else. I still like the way it looks though. I colored it with water soluble pencil and colored pencils.

Comments

  1. Your cats looks so great!!tHe last grey one in the bag is so nice! Friendly and smiley :-). Nice colors too. Great work. You should draw more often. You're doing absolutely very fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear, you are so nice to me! :) Thank you very much. And you are so absolutely right, I should draw more!

      Delete
  2. Your gray cat with the lavender ears is lovely, and all the sketches look great! I used to try to draw in pen straight away but since I decided to spend more time on sketching in pencil first, everything comes out much better. I agree it would be nice to get it right in pen the first time - but I think in my case it would be many years of practice to get similar results without the pencil!

    (This reminds me. I owe you a cat! Or a bunny! One of these days...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! Yes, years of practice don't sound really sweet to me either but hey, we'll get there anyways so why rush it ;)

      As for reminders go.... we said no rush here either :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate every comment I receive and I will reply to it as soon as I can ♥

Popular Posts