After Vacations



I've been on my yearly Rhodes holidays last week and it's been great again. Only, this year it's been twice more interesting. Firstly, I did some sketching! This is a big whoa for me because I usually take all the things I need with me but end up not using them at all. But this time I did and it made me so proud of myself. I even had encounters with people while drawing and was offered a bigger paper to draw on :)  I found that so cute. And the offer was made form the gardener/handy man of the place who thought I did my drawing really well! :)

I shall show you all of the sketches even if I only finished two of them. Because if I don’t (and I did want to finish them first but of course got carried away with other things) you’ll never get to see them at all :)

my first time drawing outside - view from the sun bed  (I also discovered I didn't take water soluble pencils with me so that was quite a shock)

trying out a different approach with line thicknesses but not liking it much

drawing Hibiscus flowers in the garden and almost melting away while doing so (have to color them up and fine line them)

our room at the hotel - M says it wasn't this pretty :D

little rock that greeted us when we first came back to out favourite beach


Secondly we did some climbing this year. We took all of the equipment with us and tested the biggest climbing site. The rock was really nice and the view from belaying grounds was beautiful - sea all around. We shall bring the equipment with us next year too as we got to know some of the local climbers who were really friendly and they offered to take us along to the neighbor island for some other climbing spots as well. So so cool.

And I managed to test drive Mrs Red (my new sewing machine) because I had to make last minute bag for our yellow umbrella to take there with us. The bag came out nicely and was a joy to carry around. Mrs Red is so much lighter than our old machine that she jumps a bit on the table but apart from this (and some fabric dragging which I have to explore a bit more) she performed quite well. I bought some interfacing yesterday so I can try out the things I learned on the e-course I mentioned in my previous post. There’s only this tiny bit of the time issue there but I’ll manage.

Comments

  1. Ah, sounds like a nice week in rhodes. And so good you actually drew in the stuff you brought with you this time! I"m curious how the hibiscus drawing will turn out, with colours and all. And I can see the architect-approach in the drawing of the room ;-). It sure looks pretty, greek colours there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esther! I'm afraid I won't finish these any time soon but they will wait there patiently for me, this I know :)

      Hehe about the architect approach :D Can't really do it differently. They had a very nice idea about the room only the execution was really poor. But this of course can't be seen from the drawing.

      Delete
  2. Yes, me too - looking forward to you finishing the hibiscus flowers :D

    Nini, you are an amazing 'drawer' (that's such a weird word, but I can't think of another one ;)) - you are such a versatile artist - I know I've said it before, but indeed there are people who shouldn't focus on ONE thing because they do so MANY things so amazingly well :) Every time I see your drawings (these, and your finished sketchbook) I'm thinking - WOW, but she's GOOD!! The perspective in that hotel room - couldn't do it even almost... Your inner architect showing through, indeed ;) The flip-flops are lovely, so Summery, and that rock <3

    Thanks so much for sharing these, LOVE!! And please, keep drawing - a little - too... I love seeing the world drawn through your eyes :D x!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nini is a marvelous drawer indeed.And besides that she's marvelous at various other things too. Yes Nini you ARE :-).

      Delete
    2. Oh Esther, thank you so much for this. I hope you can feel this virtual hug I'm giving you right now :)

      Delete
    3. Well Yvonne, now that there are two of you waiting for the hibiscus flowers I should really finish them faster ;)

      Thank you so sooooo much for your kind words. It's really so nice to receive a hearty praise... I wish I could hug you too, but... I shall think of something else ;)

      I'm pretty sure you could do a simple perspective like this one because you are so good at drawing yourself. Plus, you are AWSOME at coloring. This is something I need to work on but I guess it's much easier to have it "in" already.

      And I like being called an amazing drawer because it kind of suits my versatile interests - I'm like a drawer holding too much stuff ;) hahaha... but really.... thank you so much again!

      Delete
  3. Hooray, you used your drawing things! I have also brought supplies and never found time (or made time!) to use them. The room at the hotel looks terrific! Wonderful perspective. I really like the one where you were experimenting with line thickness too, even if it was just an exercise. And the view from the sun bed. All really great drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nini, I wrote a whole reply to this on my new phone, but alas I couldn't post :( There are some downsides to doing things on location. I love your thongs (flip-flops) but I really love the room, how you framed it, letting all that light. It's quite minimal but beautiful relaxing and tranquil. I wouldn't mind staying there. Hope you had a lovely break. Great to catch up with you this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, the gnomes and witches of mobile phone lands...
      I'm glad you dropped by again and posted another comment as I really like reading from you. And thank you for your thoughts about the drawings. It's so interesting to know what others see as it's always completely different from what I see :)

      Delete
  5. i'm waiting for the finished hibiscus as well, it already looks wonderful so can't wait to see it finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful drawings Nini. Seriously very, very good. You've inspired me to break out the sketch pad and drawing pencils !

    x ELena
    www.randomlyahppyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elena, this is truly a wonderful comment to receive. I hope you'll share your sketches!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate every comment I receive and I will reply to it as soon as I can ♥

Popular Posts