The Box

Earlier this year I decided to try my luck at a (as I was told) very well known biennial ceramics competition that is held in Carouge, Switzerland. They seem to have very distinct themes at this competition. This year it was simply "The Box" - two years ago they had "Tea Pot". There were only a few rules to obey like size, ceramics only and 2 piece set - box with it's lid. The rest was up to us.

So after my first failure (I wanted to make some sort of "stack-able" box but wasn't really careful with it or accurate enough, and now that I think about it the thing would make more than two pieces which would disqualify it immediately anyway) I came up with this idea:

closed

This thing is in the realm of boxes? I hear you ask. Well yeah, look at the proof:

opened

So I sent them these two photos, as I was supposed to, and I waited and waited (they had to assemble their jury and everything and it took months) and I finally got an answer. They accepted my submission to be shown at the exhibition! Boy was I happy. Truly really happy. Because getting in is huge, really huge (especially if you know they received 795 submissions).

And yeah, I'm still happy about it :D


p.s.
The exhibition will be open until 6th of November so if you're in the area, drop in and let me know how it looks like :)

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! That's an amazing piece! No wonder it was selected to be a part of the exhibition (which sounds very impressive!), the idea and execution of it really are wonderful.
    Hooray, hooray, hooray for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much my dear!
    (I can't wait to get it back - hopefully in one piece too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG nini!!!

    This is such a beautiful piece! I am in awe, it's so pretty. I imagine it has been kept in it's 'nude' state and not glazed because it looks truly stunning as is :D

    The detail... Gosh I would love to seen this up close!

    I am so pleased that they accepted this for display. How many pieces do they select?

    Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. O Katrina! Where have you been hiding again?

    Anyways, thank you very much for commenting. And I'm glad you like my piece. You are correct about the "nude" state, I was going to glaze it but I realized I'd lost all the details and that simply wasn't an option.

    I don't know how many they accepted. I'll know (I think) when I get the catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. How long did this take you ! Hours and hours. What a clever twist on the box. Such fine work. What size is it ? Did you get it back ?
    Yes I totally see what you mean about fine. Very fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen!

      I'm sorry for this late reply but I was away in Netherlands.

      Well, yes... it took hours to assemble the foliage and quite some figuring out how to do it but the hours flew by as it was really nice to work on it.
      It's about 15x15x15cm and yes, I got it back - but in a lot more pieces than I sent out :) The "lid" broke in a lot of places and two of the trees lost some branches. But oh well... it was

      Delete

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate every comment I receive and I will reply to it as soon as I can ♥

Popular Posts